|Object Name||Collection, Archival|
Archival collection of materials related to Brentwood Baptist Church. Originally Pisgah Baptist Church, Brentwood Baptist Church was established in May 1938. The following year, the church purchased land on Brentwood Street. A new sanctuary was erected on the site in 1965. In 1999, declining membership forced its sale. The congregation relocated to a new facility on Gordon Road. Most of the collected materials relate to the church's later years, mainly in the form of albums, scrapbooks, and bulletins. Coverage of the period before 1965 is minimal.
The collection is composed of the following series:
1. Church history
5. Albums and scrapbooks
Monk, J. Charlie
Thompson, B. J.
Brentwood Baptist Church
Pisgah Baptist Church
|Credit Line||Gift of B. J. Hight|
Consists of reports, programs, and notes relating to Coronation and Recognition ceremonies performed by members of the Girls' Auxiliary and Acteens. Dated 1954 to 1978.
Consists of class rosters and lists of teachers. Dated 1979 to 1988.
Two-page, handwritten "Church Covenant," in which the church's vision and mission are laid out. The covenant has been written on the backs of two pages of First Baptist Church letterhead. Included in the document is a list of members' names. Not dated.
One-page, typed summary of the history of Brentwood Baptist Church, from its establishment in 1938 to circa 1955. Topics covered in the document include the origins of the church, its founders and previous location, its relocation to Brentwood Street, its pastors, construction, growth, and outreach.
Red paperback loan account book issued to the trustees of Brentwood Baptist Church by Piedmont Savings and Loan Association. Entries track the repayment of a building loan over the course of nine years, from 1964 to 1973. The money loaned by the bank funded the construction of a new church sanctuary, which was completed in 1965.
Consists of notes, bulletins and programs relating to the dedication of two Brentwood Baptist Church sanctuaries, in 1965 and 2003. The first building, which still stands at 1300 Brentwood Street, was sold in 1999. The second is located on Gordon Road.
Consists of notes, bulletins, correspondence, and ephemera relating to two Brentwood Baptist Church "homecoming" celebrations.
Consists of notes, bulletins, correspondence, and advertisements.
Consists of newspaper clippings, membership directories, obituaries, newsletters, and flyers relating to pastors and members of the congregation.
Consists of letters between the Rev. J. Charlie Monk and B. J. Thompson relating to Monk's willingness to become pastor of Brentwood Baptist Church, dated January to May 1949. Other letters between Monk and various correspondents are dated from 1949 to 1951.
Consists of an obituary and e-mail relating to the death and funeral of the Rev. Monk, former pastor of Brentwood Baptist Church. Monk died on April 14, 2002 and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Erwin, NC.
One-page, typed "General Requirements for Choir," emphasizing the importance of rehearsal.
Consists of typed minutes of church committee meetings, mostly produced by the Nominating Committee. Topics covered include appointments to various church offices. Dated 1978 to 1988.
Consists of typed minutes of meetings of the Brentwood Baptist Church deacons, mainly relating to administrative matters. Dated 1954 to 1961.
Consists of handwritten minutes from meetings of the Women's Missionary Society. Also includes a handful of quarterly reports. Minutes are from monthly and general meetings, as well as some meetings of missionary circles. Dated 1949 to 1955.
Consists of approximately three dozen Sunday church bulletins. Some of the earlier bulletins contain information on the dedication and first service at the 1965 sanctuary.
Consists of approximately twenty-eight Sunday church bulletins.
Consists of photographs taken before, during and after construction of Brentwood Baptist Church's new sanctuary on Gordon Road. Circa 1999 to 2003. When donated, the photographs were contained within an album. They were subsequently removed.
Consists of photographs taken at Brentwood Baptist Church on Gordon Road. The majority of the images depict members of a youth group engaged in recreational activities. Circa 2000s. When donated, the photographs were contained within an album. They were subsequently removed.
Consists of six photographs depicting members of the Brentwood Baptist Church congregation at an outdoor social function. A man who may be the Rev. J. Charlie Monk appears in most of the images. Circa 1970s.
Consists of photographs depicting various Brentwood Baptist Church social functions and special events. Several images were taken at Coronation ceremonies for members of the Girls' Auxiliary. Circa 1960s to 1990s.
Consists of photographs, bulletins, notes and programs relating to Coronation ceremonies performed by members of the Girls' Auxiliary. Dated 1956 to 1978. When donated, the photographs were contained within an album. They were subsequently removed.
Consists of newspaper pages and clipped articles relating to milestones of the Brentwood Baptist Church. The majority describe the completion of the church's 1965 sanctuary building and its sale in 1999. Also included are advertisements and announcements of revivals.
Consists of various letters, telegrams, and mailings received or sent by members of the Brentwood Baptist Church leadership and congregation. Several letters relate to the church's Gordon Road facility. The majority, however, were mailed from Arizona by one Hazel Clark, between 1993-1998. Clark's connection to the Brentwood group is unclear, though letterhead suggests she was affiliated with the Baptist Mid-Missions.